My water "broke" on Thursday evening, October 27th, while I was helping prepare for the grand opening of Emily's Coffee. When Kevin told me that the grand opening of the coffee shop was going to be October 28th it never crossed my mind that I might be giving birth that day. I thought for sure I would be bringing Donovan to it, for everyone to meet him. Although Kevin couldn't attend the event he put so much hard work into, he had something greater to celebrate that day. I wish I had the courage and the strength to write Donovan's birth story but to be honest, the 28 hours of labor were some of the longest, hardest hours of my life. I still haven't quite coped with how his birth unfolded yet, but thankfully we got the best gift at the end of it all, our healthy beautiful son.
| I can tell you one thing...this is NOT what labor should look like!!!! |
Every day Donovan amazes me. It started in just his first few minutes of life. Right after Donovan was born, he had direct skin to skin contact with Kevin. It was obvious from the first moment of their contact that Donovan knew Kevin was with his father. He cried whenever a nurse or doctor held or touched him and calmed immediately when he was place back with Kevin. Their connection has been so strong since his conception and it is so amazing to see how it continues to develop day by day.
Donovan has been an amazing eater since the first time we gave breastfeeding a try. He latched on right away and we haven't had any problems since. In fact, when the nurse practitioner came to the house 2 days after we came home, she estimated that he gained 3 oz in one day! The norm is 1/2 oz to 1 oz so we are doing great!
Another surprise to us is that Donovan has red hair! Who knew?!? His Grandpa Dick is so excited and proud of it. It will be fun to see if it stays that way or changes as he gets older. It never crossed my mind that my son may have red hair.
Thankfully Donovan is such as happy and easy baby. He cries when he needs something but is easily calmed by having his needs met or by his father figuring out how to turn on his calming reflex (which Kevin is so good at doing). He is starting to spend a couple hours a day awake but still mostly spends his days eating, sleeping, peeing and pooing.
We have been so, so, so lucky to have my parents out here since the beginning of October and they are staying through till the beginning of December. They have helped us out so much, we can not thank them enough. We are also so lucky that my sister lives here in Denver. She is one proud Auntie and has also given us so much help and support! Donovan loves to spend time with his family which is so important to us that he gets that time!
The past few days as I have started to get some of my strength back, we have ventured out of the house for some small adventures. We went for a walk yesterday through the park and today we went to Old Navy and out to lunch. Donovan loved the walk, he slept the whole time. He also did great while we were out and about. Once I got him into the Moby wrap he curled up and went to sleep, the entire time we were out. He is such a good baby!!!! I am so lucky!!!
We are really looking forward to the upcoming weekends. Donovan's Aunt Carrie and Uncle Jason are coming to visit from NY and then the next weekend his Aunt Tanya and Grandma Laura are also coming to visit. We can not wait for everyone to be here to spend time with them and of course for Donovan to meet more of his family.
(This post was written Wednesday November 9, 2011)
No comments:
Post a Comment