Not that all the past months have not been great...but Donovan has exploded this past month and it has been so fun to watch.

I feel like he figures out something new every hour! He is talking like crazy. Bababa and mamama are some of his new favorite sound combos but he mixes and matches all of his sounds making for some fun conversations. He is also imitating sounds and Deeogee's bark is among one of the best to hear him attempt to master. He is imitating some actions as well. Clapping is the cutest! He almost always claps if you clap but he also claps if you just mention it. He also does it if you sing "if you're happy and you know it." I love it all. He has also mastered crawling on his hands and knees this month. He army crawled for a couple of weeks but quickly moved on to a more efficient mode of transportation. He is easily motivated by cheerios, spoons and bowls or the best of all, Deeogee's water bowl. Donovan can now get himself in and out of sitting which has opened up a lot of new doors for him. It also has made for some rougher nights and more difficult transitions to going to sleep because he uses all of his new moves to stay awake. He is so excited that he can sit up and see out of his crib better that he falls asleep sitting up now. We have to go in and lay him down. I want to take a picture of it but just haven't yet. He is literally sleeping, folded over, sitting up. He amazes me everyday and pretty much every minute of everyday. He loves to open drawers and cupboards and move furniture. He is SOOO strong. In a bucket full of toys he will find the container or wrapper and thinks that is the coolest thing in the world. He loves praise and is laughing and smiling all the time. He loves to dump out containers, activate buttons and most of all stand up. He can pull himself up into standing and thinks he is pretty awesome when he does it. And well, he is pretty awesome!!! At the beginning of 8 months he was wearing 12 mo clothing and now as we are coming to the end of 8 months he is pretty much in 18 mo clothing. In other words he is huge...all the more baby to love!!!!
 |
| He loves cords...YIKES! |
The army crawl :)
This past month has been a mix of tragedy and joy. Let's see here...we thoroughly enjoyed our 4th of July weekend and continued celebrations. Bringing Donovan to the fireworks was one of the best nights of my life. He enjoyed every minute of it and so did I, well watching him enjoy it that is. He was screaming, clapping and watching the fireworks the entire time. It was one of those priceless moments. Our cousins also came into town over the 4th which was tons of fun as well. I wish Ella and Maria lived closer because they would be the best babysitters ever! They took such good care of Donovan and he loved every minute with them. I can't wait til Ella comes out to stay with us next summer. Donovan will be in heaven.
 |
| Hanging out waiting to go to the fireworks show. |
 |
| Oooo he was made that I would not give him the camera! |
We also went on our first big mountain hike this past weekend. I had found a great buy at goodwill on a Kelty Kids carrier which I thought Donovan would love. We headed up to a shaded mountain hike, threw Donovan on our backs and headed out but he didn't love it as much as I thought he would. We hiked for about an hour and a half but that was about all he was good for. I think he may need to get used to it or maybe the high altitude got to him but we will defiantly be taking him again! I can not wait for regular family hikes! Nothing better than that. We did follow up our hike with a few beers, fried food and ice cream so I don't know how much, health wise, we got out of it but Donovan is no small creature so my legs were definitely sore the next day. (picture coming soon) On a not so fun note we have had far too much violence in and around our city this summer and really this past month. It really makes me so sad and I am constantly thinking...what kind of world have we brought this innocent boy into? I am sure everyone has heard about the mass murder at the theater in Aurora which is just a town over from us. I worked blocks from where that heartless fool lived and only minutes from where it all took place. Just a couple weeks ago there was also a deadly shooting at a city park after the Jazz in the Park concert. You may have heard of me mentioning this event in prior posts. Jazz in the park is something we always look forward to. To us, it is one of the highlights of the summer. Well, unfortunately we there the night of the shooting and not far form where the boy turned around and aimlessly started shooting. We heard the shots, my brother in law said "I think that was a 22." Kevin assured us it was fireworks, but as we turned around we could see a heard of people charging towards us. Police were yelling for everyone to hit the ground. I was holding Donovan in my arms. I heard Kevin yell, "Lindsey run!" I took off. No shoes, no nothing. I held Donovan in one arm and pumped with my other. My sister followed me. I think it was the fastest I have ever run in my entire life. My sister said she was having a hard time keeping up. It was an absolutely terrifying experience, one I would never want to relive. I remember asking my mom when I was younger (mind you, I had weird thoughts and was quite fearful at a very young age) "If someone came into the house with a gun and you had to choose would you have them shoot you or me?" Without hesitation she said "me Lindsey!" I will never forget that. At my young age I couldn't believe she would let me live. Well, I mean I could believe it but my processing wasn't quite there. I remember thinking wow she loves me sooo much. Running from the gun fire brought me back to that moment. As I was running I remember thinking and praying, please if a bullet comes our way do not let it touch my baby. I didn't care if it hit me, just not Donovan. There was no hesitation in my thoughts. I can't put it into words but the love you have for your child is so great and changes every last thought, feeling and action. Not once did my life or fear for myself cross my mind. It is so true what everyone says...having a child changes everything, your life will never be the same!
 |
| We went back the next weekend for the vigil. We wore purple as it was police officer Celena Hollis' favorite color. |
 |
| lots of press |
 |
| So many police officers, firemen, and paramedics were also there from all over the nation. Her family, including her daughter, also came. |
And how could I ever let anything happen to this sweet, sweet, loving, generous boy!!!
 |
| He loves to share his food :) |
 |
| Yummy cherries!! |
 |
| Wait, you want this toy?!? |
 |
| My BIG boy!!! |
And a couple extra pictures to add to the mix...
 |
| Daddy Daycare! |
|
 |
| Diapers and the backyard |
 |
| my boys |
 |
| LOVE! |
No comments:
Post a Comment