Tuesday, January 31, 2012

We have Nephews!!!!

We couldn't be more excited to welcome our nephews Otis and Aiden into this world.  They were born on January 10th, happy and healthy!  We are sooo excited for Donovan to have cousins his same age to grow up and play with and I couldn't be more excited to have two new nephews to spoil!  It is so hard to live so far away from family during exciting times like this.  We have only been able to meet them so far through pictures and Skype but in March we will be traveling out to New York to love on them in person.  Kevin and I are a very proud Aunt and Uncle.

My mom came for a quick visit a couple weeks ago.  It was so fun to have her here.  We had a really great routine down while she was in town, which started out with Donovan going downstairs early in the morning to get some grammy lovin time and I got to sleep in an extra 2 hours.  Boy did I miss that when she left.  We got the Christmas decorations put away which makes our lovely little abode seem so much bigger and we also got Donovan's room put together.  It is so fun to have a baby room in the house.  He is not sleeping in his crib yet but we will get there some day.  We play in his room everyday though and I think he is really starting to love it.  Grandma bought him lots of fun toys from our favorite second hand shop that we are already getting lots of use out of.  I don't know why toys put ages on them like 3+ mo or 6+ mo and so on because some of his favorite toys are way out of his age range.  If a toy lights up or makes noise, a baby any age is going to love it...duh! :) As always we were very sad to see mom go but hopefully she will be back soon.









Thanks for the crib Aunt Cheri!!!

We started getting Donovan on a more set nap schedule the past couple weeks as well, which is working beautifully.  He is a much happier baby when he gets some good naps in and it is a lot easier on me knowing when I need to put him down.  We go by the 2 hour rule...meaning he goes down for a nap 2 hours after the last time he woke up and it works perfect every time.  I try to get him up at the same time every morning, give or take an hour, and then just pay attention to when he wakes up from his naps from then on.  He usually takes one long nap like 1.5-2 hours and 2 shorter naps .5-1 hour and we are all happy campers.  We started doing a bedtime routine with him as well, which consists of some music, changing of the clothes, a little massage, nursing and books.  We try to get him to go to bed sometime between 7:30-8:30 which usually works pretty good.  We still have some work to do when it comes to going to bed and sleeping for longer periods of time but we are making progress.  Right now he sleeps anywhere from 6-8 hours, usually siding more on the 6 hour side but all in all I can't complain.  He really is such a good baby.






He is such a fun baby as well.  He is talking more and more everyday.  He makes very loud and joyful screams these days along with some very loud and not so joyful screams.  He is getting better and better at tolerating tummy time and is even starting to play when on his stomach.  He loves to look at himself in mirrors and he is batting and starting to grab at toys.  He is bringing objects to his mouth and even using two hands to hold his small blankets and some toys.  We put up some new mobiles in his room and he loves to look and coo at them.  We put one above his changing table which seems to be a big hit.  He isn't the biggest fan of having his diaper changed and he really doesn't like to put his arms into shirts so I am glad we have another distraction to help us along.  He likes to play pick-a-boo as well these days.  Well, I am not so sure he actually likes the game, but for some odd reason he loves to have his face covered by small blankets, snugglies or even his burb cloths.  He will brings these things to his face and cover it himself even.  And, it really helps him to fall asleep.  I am sure he gets this from his father, since Kevin loves to sleep with his face covered as well.  Or maybe he gets it from Deeogee because he also likes to sleep with his face covered :)  I work with Donovan a lot on rolling over.  Mainly I just roll him over whenever he is screaming to get off his stomach to show him how and yesterday he rolled over by himself!!!  I wouldn't quite call it a skill yet because he only did it once so far...but I am still one proud momma!  He has also discoved how to get his thumb into his mouth pretty consistantly and loves to suck on it.  He doesn't mind just sucking on his whole hand as well when his thumb is not cooperating.  He hasn't quite gotten that he is the one pulling out his thumb so he doesn't use this to sooth himself completely quite yet but he is making progress.  If only he didn't get so made when his hand comes out of his mouth :)



I just LOVE this one...makes me laugh every time I see it :)




I think he is just the best thing in the whole world and I can not get enough of him.  He is such a snuggly baby and every time it melts my heart.  I could hold him all day with his head on my chest.  When he has been playing by himself from a while and starts to fuss, if we pick him up usually he will just lay his head into us for awhile and clams down instantly.  I am so glad he feels safe in our arms.  He brings so much joy to our lives.   I can not imagine my life now without him.  He needed extra cuddles and love when we brought him in for his 3 month vaccines.  He got a shot in each leg and boy was he hurting and unhappy for the rest of then evening.  His 2 month vaccines didn't seem to phase him.  It was so sad to see him in so much pain.  I am going to have a very hard time doing that each month. 





I am starting to think about going back to work and in fact I am going to work this Saturday at a local hospital.  I have some interviews set up for some part-time pediatric positions in the Denver area as well so we will see what comes of all of this.  I hate to think about going to back to work but I feel A LOT more settled with the idea, knowing that he will be in the hands of family when I am out.  We are so lucky and grateful to have his great auntie Angie and cousin Kelly willing to be with Donovan one of the days I am thinking of working and Kevin will be with him the other days.  Kevin is going to go down to 4 10s so he will be home with Donovan on Fridays and if I work Saturday so they will get lots of quality father son time.  We wanted nothing more than for him to be cared for by those who love him.
 
Kevin has been working hard on his website and work as a photojournalist.  He has been taking such wonderful pictures and his hard work is beginning to pay off.  Colorado public radio linked his website to their site.  This is a great start and I am very excited for him and of course, proud of him.

We hope everyone is doing well and have had a lovely start to 2012.  I can not believe we are just about into February.  My how time flies.  I can say the past 3 months have been the fastest, best 3 months of my life...so much to be thankful for each day!







And one final pic...
Remember Donovan's friend Alex who he was sooooo much bigger than before and only one week apart...
Well my baby is not such a monster any more.  They are beginning to look like they are close in age :) 




No comments:

Post a Comment